Wednesday, June 24, 2009

NYC Zine Fest June 27th!


[directions, details, and more info here http://www.nyczinefest.org/]

I'm going to be at the NYC Zine fest this saturday, speaking and tabling with my friend Ben who just came out with a new zine on physical illness called "Sick!"


We are speaking from 12:30-1:30, and our talk is called "Using Zines to Reclaim Community Support."


Zines have the power to bring attention to neglected topics. This presentation focuses on two recent compilation zines which seek to create dialogue around two issues that are usually met with silence, even within alternative/DIY/radical communities: grief and physical illness. These zines (The Worst: A Compilation Zine on Grief and Loss and Sick: A Compilation Zine on Physical Illness) allow contributors the freedom to articulate their own honest experiences with these issues, without pressure to conform to socially prescribed responses and emotions. They also seek to enrich our praxis of community-based support, rather than outsourcing it exclusively to mainstream “experts.” The editors will speak about the motivations behind each project, as well as how presenting these difficult discussions in DIY zines enacts the process by which we become our own experts.


We would both love to see you there, have lots of great discussions, and meet other people who are into talking about this stuff!

1 comment:

Andrew Culture said...

Hmm, it's a shame NY is so far from me here in the UK. I would swim by I fear my zines would weigh me down!

Andrew Culture
My Zine Distro (CornDog Publishing)
My button badge/ custom band merch thing